Friday, January 30, 2009

Super Bowl XLIII



Vegas' line opened with the Steelers as 7 point favorites. I am not nearly as offended by that as this. Apparently the mayor of Phoenix thinks she is sooooo smart. I am on record as saying that I am in favor of removing the tree inside of our football stadium; however, should I be able to find a cactus outside of Heinz Field, I would advocate complete destruction of the "tree". Actually, I think if we covered it in ketchup, that would pretty much eradicate the problem as well. You can see from the photo included to the right that Pittsburgh's riverfront is also at stake here. Should the Steelers fail miserably on Sunday, a lot more than my weekend will be ruined.

I would also like to take a moment to discuss the fact that this pending super bowl victory would be the franchise's 6th--finally breaking that ridiculous tie with the 49ers and Cowboys. The Steelers are the model franchise in terms of player conduct (makes us better than Dallas) and philosophy (makes us better than San Francisco). Jerry Jones, owner of the Cowboys, meddles in team affairs constantly (which is why he kept Wade Phillips on as Head Coach--the man has no backbone) and will go out of his way to take risks on players like Terrell Owens and Adam Jones who are best classified as locker room poison. This ensures that Dallas is always in the media spotlight, but at what cost? Meanwhile if you look at today's 49ers, they are miles away from the Bill Walsh/George Seifert era--especially in terms of talent, coaching and attitude (things I have jointly referred to as "philosophy"). The steelers have only had three different head coaches during the super bowl era; Knoll, Cower and Tomlin all agree on the same basic formula: defense wins championships. The blue collar attitude of western pennsylvania is clearly reflected...

No comments:

Post a Comment